Sunday, 14 October 2012



Vamping it up!



Lately I have been obsessing over Vampira...the Queen of Evil Gothic Sexiness. The ultimate alternative Pin-Up! Sorry if you have had enough of me posting pics of her all over instagram. I love sharing my findings.
It may be because Halloween is soon upon us and have had some discussions or late as to what to wear for Halloween (its a big deal for me) 



Maila Nurmi was a Finnish-American actress who created the campy 1950s character Vampira. She portrayed Vampira as TV's first horror host and in the Ed Wood cult film 'Plan 9 from Outer Space'. She also appeared in the 1959 movie 'The Beat Generation' as Vampira.

At 17 Malia was already dreaming of being an eventual Hollywood star and took a trip to Los Angeles to find fame and fortune. Maila became an exotic dancer and photo model to begin with.

Malia played a role as a Vampire in a show called Spook Scandals on the New York Theatre scene.

But in 1954 Maila dressed up as Morticia Addams for a masked ball and this was how Vampira was born. 
Maila's appearance appealed to the director for KABC Channel 7 and soon after Maila officially became 'Vampira' a show host presenting horror movies each Saturday which premiered on May 1, 1954.

She was an instant success and was very popular. Her measurements were 38-17-36! What an incredibly tiny waist!





This is what Maila actually looked like under the wig!! Very ahead of her time...considering it was the 50's she looked like a 70's punk! What an awesome lady!

I think I shall most definitely be sporting some sort of Vampira style outfit this Halloween!! Sometimes I wish I had black hair still! Then I could look like her ALL the time ;)

Miss D S xxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment